Frequently Asked Questions
See below for the top points to know about the Black Party event on April 6 at the New York Expo Center
Things to know about this year’s event
Rites XL: The Black Party 2019 will be held at the New York Expo Center located at 1110 Oak Point Ave, Bronx, NY 10474.
From the Brunckner Expressway, you can see the orange and white striped smoke stack along the horizon from miles away. This is your landmark since the door entry is just to the left of the smokestack on ground level. There are a few steps at the entrance, but the venue is wheelchair accessible.
There is a fully-guarded gatehouse at the main entrance preventing non-commercial vehicles from entering.
There is ample FREE street parking with diagonal spaces in front of the venue on Oak Point Avenue. Local police and our security team will patrol the area.
Free Shuttle buses are available in Hell’s Kitchen and Williamsburg. Check this link for pick up points and schedules. https://www.saintatlarge.com/travel
If the shuttle bus is at capacity, please wait for the next shuttle or grab some new friends and share a ride.
This is a 18+ hour event with multiple DJ sets. Doors open 10pm Sat April 6 and goes till 3pm+ Sunday afternoon.
Although the venue is a converted warehouse with cement floors, we construct a hardwood dance floor for greater enjoyment and a softer surface on which to dance long lengths of time. Feel free to bring your own baby powder to help absorb wet spots.
When you arrive, have 2 things ready to present at the door entrance:
1. Government-issued Photo ID (no one under 21 admitted).
2. Your Ticket (physical paper ticket, printed e-ticket or mobile phone ticket). We scan the SQUARE QR-Code barcode in your ticket. It’s usually an attachment.
3. After your ticket is scanned, we will supply you with an entry bracelet.
4. There will be a brief security checkpoint to search for liquids and weapons. All cellphones and cameras will be required to be left at coat check and you will be further searched for phones upon entering the main party area.
The AGE 27 and UNDER Ticket option
This ticket type is not valid after 11:45pm. If you have that type of ticket and arrive late, you can purchase an additional upgraded ticket. You must be AGE 27 or UNDER on the date of the event.
After 9 am on Sunday, the ticket is just $60. Come fresh in the morning, avoid lines and dance all day.
Although we will have ATMs on location, we recommend bringing some cash for coat check and bar service.
There will be a fully stocked bar at the venue which will serve liquor between 10 pm and 4 am and resume at 10 am Sunday through closing. They accept cash and credit cards.
Complimentary coffee, cookies and fruit are served after 2am until supplies last.
There is a coat check to accommodate hanging clothes and bags, but there are fees for bo th. Even though there is a designated changing area, try packing lightly. Free Cell phone check is mandatory. STRICT “NO CELLPHONES, NO CAMERAS” policy.
Although there are no cellphones or cameras allowed, there is a photo booth where you can have your photos emailed to you.
We have an ample changing area for your convenience near the coat check station
This is the order of DJS: Byrell The Great, Roi Perez b2b Ryan Smith, Boris (Berlin), Mike Servito, DJ Harvey
Hired and staffed by Saint At Large, the security detail is BP-friendly. You will pass through security after coat check to ensure that your cellphone has been checked.
In/Out Privileges available this year for free when showing untampered entry wrist bracelet. Go home, rest and come back for the final hours. It will be worth the effort.
A fully staffed Medical Tent along with an ambulance is provided to ensure maximum safety and care for our guests. The New York Department of Health will be present to do HIV Testing. Housing Works/ GMHC will be providing valuable social service information.
An outdoor smoking area has been provided on the upper level with a view of the river.
We love you and we are excited for this edition of The Black Party. Be courteous, be kind. You may meet any of these people in another dimension
Lost & Found: At the front desk where you were scanned in, at coat check and then after the party- at the Saint Office.
The Saint at Large® presents Rites XL: The Black Party® Saturday April 6, 2019 • 10PM Saturday
Strange Live Acts • Dress: Heavy
Multiple DJs • 18+Hour Event 21+ Valid ID Required
NO CAMERAS, NO CELLPHONES Tickets: www.saintatlarge.com
A SHORT HISTORY
1. The first Black Party® was held in 1980 at the private gay disco, Flamingo, on the second floor of a building on the SW corner of Broadway & Houston. The following year it moved to the new members only gay club, The Saint at 105 Second Avenue at 6th Street. Constructed within the premises of the famous Sixties rock-n-roll venue Fillmore East (Bob Dylan, Janis Joplin, The Doors, etc.), The Saint At Large’s namesake is considered one of the most futuristic, architecturally and sonically sophisticated clubs (gay or straight) ever built. (Watch the “Stories of The Saint” mini documentary series and see photos here.)
Weekly from 1980-1988, under the club’s domed, perfectly circular dancefloor, lit by a planetarium robot, and driven by a 500 speaker, 26,000 watt sound system, underground gay DJs took 3000+ men on a 12-hour musical journey commonly referred to as The Saint Trip.
Following the closure of The Saint in 1988, The Black Party® was held for 2 more years at a stripped down version of the club before settling into a 24-year run at Roseland Ballroom. In the aftermath of the razing of Roseland, The Black Party® moved to new venues throughout the boroughs.